Stephen Preen began his career with the then known accounting firm of Coopers & Lybrand during the early 1970s, qualifying as a chartered accountant in 1976.
In 1982 he joined C Scott Waine & Mitchell, which was to later merge with HLB Mann Judd in 1989. Stephen is a highly recognised practitioner with expertise that spans several business disciplines. Central to these is work in the areas of:
- family businesses, particularly in relation to the often problematic question of succession planning and the transfer of business ownership and management from one generation to the next.
- the provision of financial planning advice to high net worth individuals.
- holding directorships on the boards of various investment and property-related private companies, including the provision of advice to both management and fellow individual directors.
Stephen is highly regarded for his client focus, consultative approach and highly personalised service, attributes that have been integral to much of his work with family owned and operated businesses. These attributes have been best demonstrated in his appointments as administrator to the estate of a number of family businesses, a process that involved the sale of numerous assets, including several properties, and the distribution of the proceeds to various beneficiaries. This complex and often stressful task required a methodical, diplomatic and sensitive approach.
Areas of expertise
- Business & Succession Planning
- Trusts and Estates
- Business Advisory Services
Qualifications & memberships
- Accredited Adviser, Family Business Australia
- Associate Member, Financial Planning Association of Australia
- Member, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Registered Tax Agent