All of the latest tax news, views and clues for May 2023.
This Alert addresses:
- Is your content making you income? – The ATO has warned content creators that they need to be aware of their income tax and GST obligations.
- Home charging rate guideline for EVs released – With the increasing popularity and uptake of electric vehicles, the ATO has now released a draft compliance guideline on calculating electricity costs when an EV is charged at an employee’s or individual’s home.
- Property investors beware: new data matching program – A new ATO data matching program will obtain rental property data from various financial institutions for the 2021–2022 to 2025–2026 income years.
- Super tax concession changes: consultation – The Federal Government recently released a consultation paper on its proposal to reduce super tax concessions for individuals with super balances over $3 million, including those with SMSFs.
- Superannuation and independent contractors: fresh Full Federal Court guidance – The High and Full Federal Courts have recently made important decisions which clarify the test for determining whether a worker is an employee or an independent contractor.