All of the latest tax news, views and clues for June 2022.
This Alert addresses:
- What’s on the agenda for the newly-elected Federal government – With the election campaign finally over and a new government sworn in, many Australians will be wondering what a Labor government is likely to tackle over the next term.
- Tax time 2022: ATO focus areas – This financial year, the ATO will again be focusing on a few key areas to ensure Australians are doing the right thing and paying the right amount of tax.
- Single Touch Payroll: Phase 2 – Many employers may not yet be reporting the additional information required under STP Phase 2, but it’s important to be ready.
- ATO resumes collecting aged debts – Taxpayers with aged debts paused during the COVID-19 pandemic should be aware that offsetting aged debts against tax refunds or credits has now resumed.
- Operation Protego: detecting GST fraud – The ATO has seen a rise in schemes where people invent fake businesses and submit fictitious BASs to obtain illegal GST refunds.
- More ATO action on super guarantee non-compliance – Firmer SG-related related recovery actions suspended during the pandemic have now recommenced, and the ATO will be chasing employers that owe super to their employees.